CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dolphin Adventures

My favorite part of our Hawaii trip has to be swimming with wild dolphins. Dolphins are beautiful creatures that are graceful, playful, and entertaining. After reading about Kealakekua Bay and the great snorkeling site at Captain Cook's Monument that sometimes boasts dolphin sitings, we decided to rent kayaks and check it out. Little did I know that this would be a day to never forget. A day to cross off my Bucket List. A day that would put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye when I think back on it. This was the best day ever.

The kayaks loaded up on our rental car

On the kayaks:

Underwater dolphins pictures:
Tre

Tre's feet with a dolphin swimming just under him

The dolphins were jumping, flipping, splashing and playing out of the water, but under water they look so easy going and graceful. They also liked to swim belly to belly. The picture above captures that move.

The book I read said that once the writer saw 19 dolphins. They were quite excited about that. We counted at least 20 in ONE picture that I took. I assume there were at least 50 if not more. The locals at the pier said that just last week, no one spotted any dolphins. We were quite lucky to be able to jump in and swim with these beautiful creatures. They are not afraid of humans. In fact one came at me head on. I could have reached my hand up and touched his nose, but I decided to respect this wild soul and keep my hands to myself.


Snorkeling at Captain Cook:
Right behind Tre is Captain Cook's Monument. It was just across the bay from where we put the kayaks in. After swimming with many, many dolphins this beautiful snorkel spot just didn't really compare.


After the dolphin adventure:
Belle jumping off the pier into clear turquoise water full of yellow fish

Her smiling face after the jump


Belle and Tre standing on the pier where we put the kayaks in

0 comments: