CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 23, 2009

Three of my favorite things: shopping, sales and food

I just started to get the hang of "couponing". My friends have been talking about it for a while now and anything that involves shopping, sales and food is something I want to get in on. So I've done some research and the picture above is my first stab at it. Here are the totals:

Original Price of Groceries: $87.71
Amount Spent: $35.28
Money Saved: $52.43

I'm sure I can get better deals as I get more organized and prepared, but I was pretty impressed with my first run. This is how I did it....I started collecting the coupon books from the Sunday paper and saving them whole (I don't cut out the coupons). Then I watched to tutorials on Savvy Shopper Deals.com and fiddled around on the site. They have an interactive "shopping wizard" which shows all sales for Target, Albertons, Smiths, Harmons, Maceys, Kmart, Reams, Rite Aid, Walgreens and Shopko. Then it pairs up coupons (from the paper) with sales and rates how good the deal is. If it is rated WOW! then it's a great deal.

Case in point: At Albertsons they have Betty Crocker cake mixes on sale 4 for $5. So $1.25 each. But if you buy 10 of them they will give you a $10 coupon off your next order at Albertsons. Which makes them $.25 each. So what I did is get the 10 cake mixes and buy them first. I got the $10 coupon from the register and applied it to the rest of my purchases. I ended up paying $12.50 for the 10 boxes of cake mix and $1.40 for the rest of my groceries (3 cans of soup, 2 packages of cheese slices, 2 Nabisco Go Paks and 4 loaves of Grandma Sycamore bread).

Not only is this practical but it's fun too. I love to get a deal and I love to buy food at a deal. I can't wait for my next time around!

Side Note: I went back the next day and bought $118 worth of groceries (mostly snack foods and cereals) for only $40!! I bought 39 items so they come out to be $1 a peice. Not bad!

6 comments:

Kara said...

That is so awesome in so many ways! I long to be a couponer. I'm not sure if you know this but it is one of my goals in life. So keep up the good work! I can't wait to hear all about it tomorrow morning during our awesome workout session! I feel great today, almost as if I am getting back to my old love to workout self. I also feel great today because I got my daily dose of Leisa. You know Leisa = Happy Pill!!!!!

Leisa said...

Yes, I know...I've been told that before (about the happy pill). I was in a good mood this morning too, which helps. Anyway, can't wait to see you tomorrow...I'd tell you what we're doing but I don't want to ruin the surprise :)

Beck said...

Very cool! I seriously need to jump on that band wagon. Ive heard so much about it. Have you heard of the Budweiser rebates yet?

Leisa said...

Yes, but I don't really know what they are. I need to research the beer rebates cause they are supposed to be good and you don't have to purchase beer in Utah to get them.

Cammie said...

Great haul!! If you click on the "Food Storage Deals" under the "Friends" heading on the right hand side of my blog you can find more great deals. This woman researches the papers and finds the best deals. She marks them good, great, can't miss so you can compare each grocery store side by side. She does ALL the research and posts tons of great tips. The blog is free, but if you want her comps I think it's $5.00/month...you will save WAY more than $5.00/month!

Steph said...

This is soo cool!! I'm impressed! Nice job!